No matter what people think of lawyers and how many jokes they make about them, they will always be needed. Lawyers help shape the laws that rule a country and they are a key part of making countries run properly. A lawyer can either work to your advantage or against it, depending on which side of the law you are on. Some lawyers stand out in the profession and are known across the world. These guys are the ones that have made history and the ones you don’t want to be your opposing counsel.
The top lawyers of all time include the following people:
1. Joe Jamail – Joe Jamail is a billionaire thanks to his success in the courtroom with several high-profile cases. He has been nicknamed the ‘King of Torts’ and won the case of Pennzoil vs. Texaco and walked away with $335 million dollars. The $10.5 billion verdict that was a result, in that case, is the biggest that a jury has ever awarded. No matter the fact that he is known as abrasive, rude, and vulgar, he is one of the best lawyers of all time.
2. Abraham Lincoln – Most of the US presidents in history were lawyers before they were elected into office. Abraham Lincoln is also known as ‘Honest Abe’ by his clients because of how he treated them. He was the first American president to hold a patent and was involved in many important cases. He was truly one of the greatest presidents ever.
3. John Adams – Sticking with the presidents, we also add John Adams, the second president of the US, to our list. He was also a founding father and a well-respected lawyer who defended soldiers accused of taking part in the Boston Massacre. He cleared the names of 6 of the soldiers and got two charged with manslaughter instead of murder. He was one of the most influential people in history and his work had many positive effects on business and areas of importance.
4. Johnnie Cochran – The name is well-known in America and everywhere else in the world. Johnnie Cochrane was known to fight for the underdog and worked a lot with clients who were victims of police brutality. His best-known case is probably the OJ Simpson trial where he became famous for the words ‘If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit’. He also represented many other famous people like Michael Jackson, Tupac Shakur, and Sean Combs.
5. Mary Jo White – The now chairwoman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, is feared in courts across the country. No lawyer or attorney wishes to face this powerful lawyer in court because they know they will get whipped. Mary Jo White is a well-respected and very successful lawyer who is often called upon by the Attorney General to investigate high-profile cases.
There have been many other powerful and well-known lawyers in the world and there will be many more. The lawyers on this list made history and some of them are still feared today. You don’t want any of the lawyers on this list to be against you.