Personal injury claims can be very interesting and very extensive. There are many different circumstances that validate a personal injury claim. Different types of injuries, situations, and other factors influence a personal injury claim. If you need to file a claim for personal injury or death due to negligence, we want to help you out with a few facts. It is always better to know as much of the facts as you can beforehand. The better prepared you are, the better your chances for a successful and pain-free process.
Consider the following facts:
1. You need to file a claim within three years of the incident. There is a statute of limitations on personal and serious injury claims. After an event where you or a family member is seriously injured due to negligence, it is easy to get caught up in the recovery, the medical costs, and dealing with the loss of a job and other factors. However, it is important that you keep your head and stay aware of the time limit. If you start early, you can gather information and records to support your case.
2. There is a difference between a serious injury and general personal injury lawyer. It is important to note this difference. Different law firms and different lawyers offer different services. You should do extensive and thorough research before appointing a lawyer. You can meet with different lawyers without any obligations and find out which one is best for your case.
3. You are entitled to change your law firm. If you choose a firm and later find that you are not happy with their service or they are not giving your case the necessary attention, you can change firms. The first step is to get a second opinion from another firm. If you are happy with them, you can hire them and they will handle the paperwork and deal with transferring your case to them. If you don’t trust your chosen law firm or feel your case is not seen as important, you need to find a firm and lawyers that will make you a priority. Don’t be afraid to change. It can have dire consequences for you.
4. These cases can take a long time to get settled. Personal injury cases are known to sometimes take years to settle. This is especially true in the case of serious injury claims. If you know that it might take time, you will be better prepared to deal with the situation. It is important that you build a good relationship with your lawyer and stay in contact with him or her. You are entitled to ask about the progress of your case and if there are any new developments. A good lawyer will share this information with you without you needing to ask.
5. Most cases never go to court. It is rare that a personal injury claim ends up in the courtroom. This only ever happens if there are serious disagreements between the parties about who is to blame, the extent of the damages that should be paid, etc.
If you keep these things in mind, you should be prepared for what to expect and not get blindsided. A good lawyer and honesty are your best weapons in a personal injury case.